What do you get when you want fish tacos but don’t have the tortillas: De-constructed Taco fish-bowls!
Because we are in social isolation at the time of this writing, we are becoming more creative with meal design. Our original plan was to have fish tacos, but we forgot to buy tortillas. There was no running to the store for a quick trip, so my son suggested we make fish taco bowls.
Fish taco bowls are fun and easily customizable for each family member.
Marinating the fish makes the cod pop with flavor, and it can be done as early as the night before.
Mayonnaise is ok, but avocado oil for the slaw is outstanding. Olive oil will work just as well. For this meal the slaw is more of an anchor than a topping.
Fresh lime is delicious but bottled juice will also work. Keep limes on your shortlist of groceries 🙂
For the fish and marinade
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil, divided
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice divided
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, 12 grinds
- 2 pounds of fresh cod
For the slaw:
- 1/2 c. avocado oil
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 8 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup match stick carrots or shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup pickled jalapeño, diced
- 3 scallions diced, green and white parts
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
For assembling bowls:
- 1 generous cup guacamole
- 1 generous cup salsa
- Lime wedges
- 2 cups cooked rice or roasted sweet potato wedges
- Make the marinade. Combine all fish ingredients except fish in zip-top bag. Cut fish into two-inch chunks. Refrigerate for 30 minutes hours up to overnight.
- Make slaw. Combine oil and spices, honey, cilantro, and jalapeños. Mix well. This may be made up to a day ahead. Toss dressing with cabbage and carrot and scallion. Cover and chill.
- Bake fish on a baking sheet lined with foil and greased at 400 degrees for 12 minutes or until it flakes easily.
- To serve place fish on a platter with several lime wedges. Give the slaw a fresh toss. Set out rice and/or sweet potato wedges, guacamole, and salsa. Use generously sized bowls and let everyone assemble their own bowls.
- Optional toppings: diced avocado, diced tomatoes, cheddar cheese, sour cream
Totally doing this tonight with fish I have in my fridge. Thanks! Will post in my stories!