Are you feeling bloated after your vacation or holiday? Food hangovers are a real thing and just like their cousins, alcohol hangovers, can be nasty. A food hangover is when you experience a bloated and sluggish feeling and your clothes are uncomfortably tight.
This typically occurs after days or weeks of eating richer than usual food.
Fortunately, there is a method to help speed up the recovery so you can debloat, feel better, and possibly even lose a few pounds.
What follows here is a proven Post-Vacation Bloat Recovery Template.
Follow this after eating unusual food choices (like on vacation, or the holidays) that don’t agree with you so you can feel better and fit back into your clothes.
This is a simple 1-3 day plan for when you feel bloated after vacation that will get your system back to baseline and includes mostly whole foods. One processed food exception here is grass-fed whey protein.
Important: This is not a sustainable weight loss plan.
The purpose of following this template is to feel better after overindulging in holiday or vacation food. After one to three days of this plan, continue with your normal food routine.
Recovery Template for dealing with bloat after vacation:
Follow this for one to three days.
16 ounces of water with fresh juice of half of a fresh lemon.
Quick blender shake
Ingredients pictured below clockwise from top:
- fresh mint leaves- unlimited amount (mint is very soothing)
- Balsamic vinegar of Modena* 1/4 cup
- cocoa powder (unprocessed) 2 Tablespoons
- spinach one handful
- grass-fed whey protein or organic plant protein powder 1 serving
- or your favorite plant protein
- romaine lettuce 4-5 big leaves
- matcha powder 1 teaspoon.
- Optional: pure stevia powder
- 1/2 cup water
- ice cubes
A large leafy salad with non-gassy veggies**, a palm-sized serving of lean protein, and an olive oil vinaigrette dressing. I had this one at a restaurant: romaine and mixed greens, tomato, cucumber, mushrooms, and onions. Chicken breast, and balsamic vinaigrette. Ask for extra greens.
update: Plant protein has become my preferred protein powder over whey.
Repeat the breakfast shake.
Tip: Make a double shake and keep half in the fridge or work for later.
- A palm-sized serving of lean protein
- salad with a simple vinaigrette made with olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- and a cooked veggie
I enjoyed a modest glass of wine on the side, because #life.
This was at one of our favorite steakhouses: Mixed green salad, with a simple olive oil vinaigrette, double order of shrimp cocktail, and a side of snap peas.
Not shown but also enjoyed were oysters on the half shell with freshly squeezed lemon. Note: Although the cocktail sauce was served, omit it during this during the de-bloat.
This is what a day following the Post-Vacation Bloat Recovery Template might look like.
There is no need to stay home or eat boring food because this is an easy template with readily available food. Grab some grass-fed whey protein to have on hand.
Key points for dealing with feeling bloated after vacation:
- Avoid dairy, grains and gassy veggies*
- Follow for 1-3 days to feel better after eating food that doesn’t agree with you.
- Drink as much water with lemon as you can, don’t allow yourself to get thirsty.
- If you enjoy coffee, go ahead and have it, but omit creamer and artificial sweeteners. Enjoy a glass of water before your coffee, because coffee on an empty stomach can be irritating and possibly contribute to bloating.
*Check ingredients to be sure that there are no coloring agents.
**Gassy veggie examples: brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, and cabbage all varieties.
FREE Video Series: The Best Exercises for Women Over 40!
Free 3-Part video Series goes in-depth teaching you how to perform the above exercises step-by-step THE RIGHT WAY without getting hurt.